Open Forum

All Communities
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

• 1.  HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-01-2024 16:48
    Hi all – has anyone started the process of filing the 1099-s using the IRS FIRE system? In the past, we had our TCC code and reporting via Qualia was always a fairly straightforward process. Apparently last year the IRS sent out a notice regarding the TCC code and if you missed the deadline (which we did because we never received the notice) then you must reapply for a new TCC code. It is turning into a very invasive and challenging endeavor to obtain this code. The IRS is requiring us to submit 2 individuals' information, obtain an ID.me account for each person which includes – along with all your personal data - submitting your biometrics – i.e. a total facial scan into your phone which is submitted to the IRS. Anyone go through this process yet? My employee that handles this reporting is extremely uncomfortable with this this process and frankly I can't blame them. Also, if you already have an ID.me account with the IRS for a personal tax matter, then the IRS is kicking you out as a duplicate and cannot enter in your new data as an employee. I think there is a way to choose "on behalf of company" but it's not allowing us to go that route. We've tried calling the IRS several times but after sitting on hold for hours we give up and go back to our real work.

If anyone can provide guidance or assistance on handling this reporting – please let us know. Thanks in advance!

Cecelia

Cecelia A. Adams
    President
    RSI Title, LLC
    One Research Court, Suite 150
    Rockville, MD  20850
    301-610-7777 | Fax:  301-610-7760 | Cell: 301.938.1155
    Email:  cadams@rsititle.com | Website:  rsititle.com

WARNING – BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS
    Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds. Please call your escrow officer or title company immediately using contact information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received. We are not responsible for any wires sent by you to an incorrect bank account.

RSI Title, LLC is an appointed producer for First American Title Insurance Company and Fidelity National Title Insurance Company

CONFIDENTIALITY/NOTICE: The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged.  It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  No information contained herein should be deemed or construed as legal advice.

ALTA Marketplace

• 2.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 06:20

We are having the same issues.  My accountant takes care of the FIRE filings, etc. for us, and we cannot seem to get the IRS to recognize us at all!  What a PITA! I don't have any suggestions, we need help too!

------------------------------
    Peter Pike Esq.
    Attorney
    Pike Law Firm, PA
    Bradenton FL
    +1 (941) 312-2580

ALTA Marketplace

• 3.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-05-2024 10:47
    Same here....I never received any notification of applying for a new TCC Code and went through the whole process last week. Still waiting for the new code and approval to submit my 1099s. Getting stressed over it too! 

Missi Kelsey

CEO/Title Agent

Kelsey Title Agency

1213 W Miller Street Ste 4

Fruitland Park, FL 34731

(352) 775-1771 (O)

(352) 414-2194 (F)

www.kelseytitleagency.com

ALTA Marketplace

• 4.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-06-2024 08:30

I had the same problem.  Was on hold for 2 hours before getting to speak to someone and was advised I needed a new TCC Code.  She said there was a notification last year about it but I never received anything.  I went to the site she gave and did the new application.  Now waiting for a new TCC Code.  Need to get my 1099s filed.

William Christopher
    Attorney
    William R. Christopher
    Butler AL
    +1 (205) 459-4224

ALTA Marketplace

• 5.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-06-2024 09:58
    I thought the new TCC code requirement was for filing the 1099s through the new IRIS system, not the FIRE system. I was told by the IRS that TCC codes for the FIRE system begin with numbers and that TCC codes for the IRIS system begin with letters.

--
    Edward L. Walmsley Jr., Esq.
    Mail: P.O. Box 105, Lyndonville, VT 05851-0105
    Physical: 806 Broad Street, Lyndonville, VT  05851
    Phone: (802) 626-8129
    Fax: (802) 626-8120

Pursuant to Federal Law, this office may be considered a debt collector. We are attempting to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

WARNING – FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS

Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds. Please call your escrow officer immediately using contact information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received. We are not responsible for any wires sent by you to an incorrect bank account. 

Hackers are targeting e-mails of attorneys and other businesses in attempts to misdirect funds or initiate fraudulent wire requests. If you receive an e-mail from this office requesting that funds be wired or otherwise transferred, you must confirm the request and any corresponding instructions via telephone before you initiate any transfer. ALSO, CONFIRM THE TELEPHONE NUMBER WITH PREVIOUS EMAILS YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM THIS OFFICE OR CONFIRM THE TELEPHONE NUMBER WITH OUR WEBSITE.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, and may contain attorney/client privileged and confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, use, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication by any other person or entity is strictly prohibited. Should you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone (802-626-5200), return the original transmission to sender and delete all copies.

ALTA Marketplace

• 6.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-06-2024 10:37

The IRS informed me that those notifications only went to the software companies that our original TCC showed associated with.  Dumb!

We will be closed on Monday, February the 19th, in observance of President's Day. We will return back to the office on Tuesday the 20th.

David O. Windle

President

LOGO  

295 Main Street

Quincy, Ca.  95971

PH (530)283-0700

FX (530)283-1438

david.windle@calsierratitle.com

WARNING: FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS

Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds.

Please call your escrow officer immediately using contact information found

from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify

any funding instructions received.

We are not responsible for any wires sent by you to an incorrect bank account.

TP seal with ESB icon_small

CONFIDENTIAL:

This electronic mail message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this message or by telephone at 530-283-0700 and then delete the file.

Federal law requires us to notify you that this office may be attempting to collect a debt.  Any information obtained will be used for those purposes.

ALTA Marketplace

• 7.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 07:23

Cecilia,

Your story is identical to mine.  I am following in hopes someone has suggestions! Good Luck.

Leslie Wilkinson
    North Florida Abstract & Title
    Monticello FL
    +1 (850) 997-2670

ALTA Marketplace

• 8.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 07:44
      |   view attached

We are all going to be ok because if I can do it, so can you!  Like many of you, I had the same TCC code for many years and had no issue with filings; however, I missed the August deadline.   I stumbled through the process and my application was marked "complete" within about 10 days.  I have the code, next is to use it in the FIRE System.  Note that these instructions were quite hard to find.  I did not have them when applying for the new code and just found them yesterday after I could not figure out where to locate the code!  Best of luck and I'm happy to chat on the phone.  

Francine D'Elia Wirsching, CLTP, NTP

Community First Abstract

francine@cfabstract.com

610-834-6080

Francine Wirsching CLTP, NTP
    Owner
    Community First Abstract
    Blue Bell PA
    +1 (610) 834-6080

Attachment(s)

pdf
    TCCinformation.pdf   1.78 MB 1 version
    ALTA Marketplace

• 9.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 10:18

Thank you Francine for this information on where to find your TCC numbers on the completed applications for IRIS and FIRE!!  I was wondering why they did not notify us by their secure mail system.  Our application was marked complete in a very short time, but I did not know the newly assigned TCC code was at the bottom of our completed information.  The couple of times I opened it, after seeing a summary of our information - I simply did not scroll down to the very bottom of the page.  As I am sure all know, there was no reaching someone at the IRS regarding getting the TCC information quickly - as opposed to the 45 days they promise via US Mail.

Michelle Bodie
    Iowa Title Guaranty, A Division of Iowa Finance Authority
    Des Moines IA
    +1 (515) 452-0484

ALTA Marketplace

• 10.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 09:24

The IRS did update their TCC requirements last year.  I can understand an employee feeling uncomfortable.  We updated ours last year, as I have heard it can take up to 45 days to get a new number.  If you need any help we actually file them on behalf of our clients, so I am happy to file it for you if needed.  Your welcome to reach out to me at maryanne@positivelybalanced.com if you need anything.

Good luck,

Mary Anne

Mary Anne Harris
    Owner/President
    Positively Balanced, LLC
    Acworth GA
    +1 (770) 975-1475

ALTA Marketplace

• 11.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 10:25

Hello Cecilia

I just completed the process.

You are correct it is difficult.

It only took one day to get the new TCC once 2 employees signed up for ID.ME.  I did not want to have my staff do that so I had 2 officers/directors including my self.  Once the new TCC was obtained it straight forward and simple.

David Windle
    President
    Cal-Sierra Title Company
    Quincy CA
    +1 (530) 283-0700
    david.windle@calsierratitle.com

ALTA Marketplace

• 12.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 10:56

Hi everyone, 

If you e-file the 1099-S, the due date is March 31st.  The January 31st due date is for 1099-NEC filers.  I have put together an excerpt of the relevant IRS guidance regarding 1099-S filing.  We normally limit our practice to FIRPTA matters, however since we have been getting a lot of inquiries regarding 1099-S filing because of the IRS changes to TCC procedures, we can e-file for you if needed.

Mary Enzi CAA
    Tax Solutions – FIRPTA Consulting
    mary.santiago@taxss.com
    +1 (281) 578-1040
    Barker TX

ALTA Marketplace

• 13.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 10:56

You still have time to e-file the 1099-S. The deadline is March 31st if electronically filed. 

Our firm normally handles FIRPTA, but because of the number of inquiries regarding 1099-S filings and IRS change in TCC procedures, we can help file the 1099-S forms if you don't want to deal with it. 

Here is the guidance put out by IRS:

Marc Enzi
    Director
    Barker TX
    +1 (281) 578-1040

ALTA Marketplace

• 14.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 10:57

From what I've read this is the last year for the FIRE system.  The IRS has developed the new IRIS system for 1099 reporting.  We downloaded the IRIS excel template and are working to input the data. Be sure to read the guidelines as an extra space or decimal point can reject a file.  It has been virtually impossible to log in to either system the past week due to high volume of users, but we've finally gotten it figured out and have successfully uploaded a portion of our 1099-S files.

Kyle D. Conrad

Owner

207 E. 5th St.

Fowler, IN  47944

Phone: 765.884.1140

ALTA Marketplace

• 15.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 11:04
    Yes, we did to. And apparently when we originally requested a TCC code we did something wrong and obtained a TCC for the FIRE System and was told by the IRS to submit an application for the IRIS System. Had difficulty doing that but finally was able to so. When you go to log in with the ID.me, instead of clicking on our firm name under "Organization", I clicked on "Individual". On the next screen there was a section "Start New Application". That did not show if I clicked on our firm name under "Organization. I was able to successfully complete the application and am now waiting to obtain our TCC for the IRIS system
    FYI I was told by the IRS that the FIRE System TCCs start with numbers and the TCC for IRIS starts with letters.

--

Pursuant to Federal Law, this office may be considered a debt collector. We are attempting to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds. Please call your escrow officer immediately using contact information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received. We are not responsible for any wires sent by you to an incorrect bank account. 

Hackers are targeting e-mails of attorneys and other businesses in attempts to misdirect funds or initiate fraudulent wire requests. If you receive an e-mail from this office requesting that funds be wired or otherwise transferred, you must confirm the request and any corresponding instructions via telephone before you initiate any transfer. ALSO, CONFIRM THE TELEPHONE NUMBER WITH PREVIOUS EMAILS YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM THIS OFFICE OR CONFIRM THE TELEPHONE NUMBER WITH OUR WEBSITE.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, and may contain attorney/client privileged and confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, use, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication by any other person or entity is strictly prohibited. Should you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone (802-626-5200), return the original transmission to sender and delete all copies.

ALTA Marketplace

• 16.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 12:33

Hi Cecilia, if you e-file the 1099-S, the due date is March 31st.  The January 31st due date is for 1099-NEC filers.  I have put together an excerpt of the relevant IRS guidance regarding 1099-S filing.  We normally limit our practice to FIRPTA matters, however since we have been getting a lot of inquiries regarding 1099-S filing because of the IRS changes to TCC procedures, we can e-file for you if needed. -Marc Enzi  (877) 568-1545  

Marc Enzi
    Director
    Barker TX
    +1 (281) 578-1040

ALTA Marketplace

• 17.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 12:46

Hi Cecilia,

We have been having this same issue here as well. We applied for our IRIS TCC code bank on January 10 2024, and have received the letter in the mail with our new code from the IRS dated January 29, 2024, but now we are having issues with uploading the data file (txt) that Qualia produces.  We now have supports tickets open with Quailia to find out why the IRS is giving us errors on the file. Stay tuned....  Thank you for posting this Cecilia, was beginning to think it was just us here facing this issue..  

image.png

image.png

Douglas Rauchut
    Licensed Title Agent/Managing Member
    Key Closings, LLC
    Harrisburg PA
    +1 (717) 798-8808

ALTA Marketplace

• 18.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-02-2024 13:23

Hi Cecelia, 

I did get our company reps vetted with the system. I agree it is a very intrusive process, I was also skeptical, but they don't give us much of a choice. I got everything done before the deadline but still had issues logging in to submit our 1099's.  I spent 6 1/2 hours over the last two days on hold (I got disconnected twice after two hours on hold each time) just to be told that if you are using Chrome, it can cause issues try using Microsoft Edge; sure enough, I was able to login with no issues! I also used this link to set up my ID.me account Create an ID.me account - ID.me at the top of the page it say "need to use ID.me for work" there is a link to help set up a work account.  Hope this helps!! 

Jennifer Russell
    VP of Escrow Operations
    Sovereign State Title Company
    Sheridan WY
    +1 (307) 683-5677

ALTA Marketplace

• 19.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 10:00

It was such a PITA for me that I contact our title insurance underwriter and they have a service based in California that files the 1099's for you.  It costs $6 per 1099 but we pass that along at the closing to the Seller.  Now we never have to worry about it again, just provide the 1099's monthly with payment to Fidelity National Financial and they do it all.

Steven Ledbetter
    Attorney
    Ledbetter Law Group
    Venice FL
    +1 (941) 256-3965

ALTA Marketplace

• 20.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 11:16

Agreed. We ended up outsourcing our 1099's this year also for the same reason. Even though we went through the IRIS-TCC application process in December '23, we  still have not been issued a valid TCC.

Cindy Parish
    Strang & Parish, Ltd. dba Colonial Title & Escrow

ALTA Marketplace

• 21.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 11:50

I received my TCC and tried logging in but it says information is incorrect or does not exist.  I've tried forgot password and still cannot log in to change it.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  I don't know if I have to create a new account at this point since I  have a new TCC.

Ginny Abate
    Legal Assistant
    William R. Christopher, Atty at Law
    Butler, AL 36904
    205-459-4224

ALTA Marketplace

• 22.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 11:56

I would not create a new account.  That seems to confuse the system.

Cindy Parish
    Strang & Parish, Ltd. dba Colonial Title & Escrow

ALTA Marketplace

• 23.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 12:05
    I've been trying to log in but it shows invalid user or password. I can't get past the login to get a reset my password. Has anyone had the same problem?

ALTA Marketplace

• 24.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-07-2024 12:20
      |   view attached

In the FIRE login, I selected the option to create a new account but experienced an error such as company not recognized or invalid user.  The company name has to match exactly to the name you used on the TCC application.  On my first attempt it failed, on my second attempt I added "LLC" and it failed and on the third attempt I used: ", LLC" and it worked.  I was simply missing the comma and the letters LLC.  For others looking to find the TCC code on their application, once your application is marked "completed" go to your Application Summary and the code will appear on the second page, last entry, on the left.   It appears that it is not taking long for the IRS to issue the TCC code - I heard from one title agent that it was less than two weeks.

I have again included a printout that I found after I fumbled and stumbled through the process. 

Francine Wirsching CLTP, NTP
    Owner
    Community First Abstract
    Blue Bell PA
    +1 (610) 834-6080

Attachment(s)

pdf
    TCCinformation (002).pdf   1.78 MB 1 version
    ALTA Marketplace

• 25.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-08-2024 13:02
      |   view attached
    Yes, I had the same problem. Turned out apparently did something wrong when applying for the IRIS systemTCC and received a TCC for the FIRE system, so it wouldn't work. I had to reapply for the correct TCC. To reapply you must click on "Individual" for "New Application" to pop-up. It will not appear if you click on your name under "Organization."

--

Attachment(s)

ALTA Marketplace

• 26.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-08-2024 16:42

What company did you outsource to?  I am also having the same issues as everyone else

Lori Lee
    Escrow Accounting Manager
    Southern Title Holding Company, LLC
    Daytona Beach FL
    +1 (386) 262-1210

ALTA Marketplace

• 27.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-08-2024 10:07

When you look at your application and review is complete look at bottom of application.  They should really just note the TCC number at the top.

Image of TCC application

Chris Steffes
    CEO
    Stearns County Abstract & Title Co.
    Saint Cloud MN
    +1 (320) 251-5920

ALTA Marketplace

• 28.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-08-2024 11:47
    SUCCESS - IRS FIRE - I got a new TCC #!

First, a HUGE thank you to Cecelia for bringing the situation with the IRS's requirement for a new TCC number to my attention. We've been working on our 1099s like normal, but had no idea this was an issue. I wanted to give everyone a ray of hope because I just started on this journey last Friday and already have a new TCC number and was able to log in to FIRE like normal this morning. Whew! Here's how I did it (including my missteps):

First, for those saying you didn't get notice of the requirement, I thought the same thing. However, if you go back to your "File Status Email" from FIRE after you submitted your 2022 returns, you'll see (and probably didn't notice-just like I didn't notice) that there was an alert, right at the top of the email, that I didn't spot. I was just looking for the File Status as "Good" and merrily closed my file until next year. So yeah, I had notice and just didn't spot it. Oops! I'll bet if you go back and look at your FIRE email from last year, you'll find it too.

But, back to the process. As everyone has already figured out, the IRS website is very unclear on how to go about signing up. They use terminology that is new and it wasn't until I walked through the process with an IRS employee (who was amazingly nice and helpful, FWIW) that I understood what all I did wrong. Here's the link for those who still haven't found it:
    https://la.www4.irs.gov/secureaccess/ui/?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-000507f7-6ce6-12ca-ace5-7c2b0ad00000&GUID=&SMAUTHREASON=0&METHOD=GET&SMAGENTNAME=-SM-u0ktItgVFneUJDzkQ7tjvLYXyclDooCJJ7%2bjXGjg3YC5id2x9riHE98hoVgd1BBv&TARGET=-SM-https%3a%2f%2fla%2ewww4%2eirs%2egov%2fesrv%2fesam%2fpages%2flandingPage%2exhtml

First, this link will take you straight to the ID-me login. You'll need to get an ID-me for at least one (for sole proprietors or nonrecognition LLCs) or two (for partnerships or corporations) "Responsible Official". This ACTUALLY has to be an owner that the IRS recognizes from their database. If the name is different, it won't work and you won't know why. It'll just sit there and not move forward, with not even a link to "continue". If you're a branch office of a bigger company and there are no in-house people who qualify as an official, you  might have to call your main branch or the IRS for guidance. 

Next, if you are a regular title company that submits through your escrow software (SoftPro, RamQuest, Qualia and the like) DO NOT apply for an IRIS TCC number (my first mistake). It'll never process or submit. It's the software itself that is the "Transmitter", not the title company. The Software Manufacturer is the "Developer" in the IRIS application. If you started an IRIS application, you'll need to start over and start an IR-TCC application.
    There will also need to be at least one employee (who is the person actually touching the keys in the software to send the forms) who will be a "Authorized Delegate". You can have several Designated persons and several contact people in addition to the Responsible Official. All of those named will have to have an ID-me account. The ID-me process isn't too terrible, but not all of it can be done on the computer. Part of it, including the facial recognition scan and photo of the front and back of your photo ID has to be done on a cell phone. Yes, they want your PERSONAL cell phone number, not the company's (I tried that. No go. Sigh...) Once they confirm your license and your facial recognition, you'll be able to log into the IRS application process. Try to look as close as possible to your ID photo (such as glasses/no glasses) and blink your eyes and move your lips a little for the facial recognition. They want a "life test" to show you're a real person and not a photo.

Once you have the ID-me for both the Responsible Official and the Authorized Delegate, you can start the IR-TCC application. You'll need to have the Responsible Official  handy (at least in the building, if not near your desk) while you fill out the online application, as the IR-TCC application has to be tied to their name, not the Designee's (my second mistake). Otherwise, you'll be able to fill out the application, but not Submit it because it requires the Responsible Official's PIN and log-in to click on "Submit Application".

This forced me to call the IRS (866-455-7438) and after the 40 minute wait time, I got an IRS rep who was very helpful. Once I undid my mistakes and started the application process again (for the third time), with the Owner now having an ID-me and PIN, the process went very smoothly. The IRS rep waited while I completed everything and submitted it. She confirmed it was "Complete" on her end and this morning, the TCC number showed on the page when I logged in as a Delegate.

Next, you also no longer have a FIRE account, in addition to no TCC. Plan to start a new Application. You can use your old Username and Password if you like (because it has no record of a conflict anymore), but I created a new one anyway, just so everything started clean. It found my account right away and I was able to log in through my software (SoftPro). Yay!

I hope this helps some of you go forward without having to call the IRS. Good luck!

Cathy Clamp CTIP
    Escrow Officer
    Heart of Texas Title Co., LLC
    Brady TX
    +1 (325) 597-0796

ALTA Marketplace

• 29.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-08-2024 14:07
    Cathy Clamp, amazing!! Thank you so much for all your helpful information and taking the time to share with the group. I hope many others have found success. Also, I want to thank everyone that responded both in this group forum and to me directly. To summarize the overall responses here are my thoughts:

1. The most common descriptive phrase used for this process is: PITA! (let me know if you need the meaning of this phrase)
    2. Most of the responders were able to obtain a TCC code but it was a challenging and extremely time consuming process
    3. Several were able to outsource the reporting to a 3rd party – at a cost, of course.
    4. In order to obtain the TCC code, 2 responsible officers of your company (unless you are a sole practitioner) must obtain an account with ID.me. Keep in mind this is a 3rd party company hired by the IRS to validate individuals. Sensitive, personal data, including biometrics is required for this process.

I know that ALTA staff monitors this site and hoping that they can assist with easing the regulatory reporting requirements such as this for our industry which is made up of mostly small businesses. In my opinion, we should not have to endure these headaches and time wasting efforts to provide the IRS with valuable reporting data. Just my 2 cents. Thanks again everyone and good luck to all!

Cecelia
    Cecelia A. Adams
    President
    RSI Title, LLC
    One Research Court, Suite 150
    Rockville, MD  20850
    301-610-7777 | Fax:  301-610-7760 | Cell: 301.938.1155
    Email:  cadams@rsititle.com | Website:  rsititle.com

ALTA Marketplace

• 30.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 02-09-2024 12:34

Hello Everyone.

First of all, this 1099 season started out stressful.  We missed the new TCC requirements also.  Since we are a software company, this mistake had me worried because we have to file 1099s electronically for all of our customers.  I got through to the IRS the first time I called and they instructed me to do the IR for TCC option.  From then on, they would not answer the phone.

Jennifer Russell (Reply 18.):  I was on hold 3 times for 2 hours and another time for an hour, and got disconnected each time...you were lucky to get through.

The IRS said it would take up to 45 days, it actually took a week or so.  I'm sure if you have any issues, it will be difficult to get support through the IRS.

Cathy Clamp (Reply 26.):  Good summary of the process! 

Ginny Abate (Reply 21.):  We did create a new account to log into the IRS Fire System with our new TCC number.  It worked the first time.  After reading comments on this thread, I feel lucky.  I agree with Francine Wirching (Reply 24.):  The Company Name you used on your application must match exactly, punctuation and all.  The system is most likely matching each character, which makes sense.  Genie Software isn't the same as Genie Software, Inc.  I would include all commas and periods.

If anyone is stuck this year, please feel free to reach out and we can assist you in uploading the 1099s under our transmitter account.

Joe Kozel
    COO
    Genie Software
    Burbank CA
    +1 (818) 252-1950

ALTA Marketplace

• 31.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 03-05-2024 10:15

If you are using Qualia make sure you apply for the IR app for TCC NOT the IRIS app for TCC.   Thanks for all the help and information on this thread!

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/about-information-returns-ir-application-for-transmitter-control-code-tcc-for-filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

Korinne Lassiter
    Owner
    ReaLand Title, LLC
    Daphne AL
    +1 (251) 295-9850

ALTA Marketplace

• 32.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 03-05-2024 10:30

One last thing to add, I originally filed for the IRIS tcc application and realized that I could not upload the type of file qualia creates for 1099 reporting.  I deleted that application and started the correct IR application.  After I submitted that application, I checked back in and kept getting this message: 

"The Organization you chose does not have the associated roles required to access your requested application."

This message really stressed me out and made me think something was done incorrectly.  I kept checking every day and then today, it was magically approved and the new TCC number was in there for the FIRE system.  I did not do anything on my end, except check the site daily.  Just wanted to put this out there in case someone is getting the same message.  

Korinne Lassiter
    Owner
    ReaLand Title, LLC
    Daphne AL
    +1 (251) 295-9850

ALTA Marketplace

• 33.  RE: HELP! 1099-S Reporting to IRS via FIRE and TCC Code

Posted 03-05-2024 10:44

We are happy to send your file for you if you need assistance. 

Mary Anne Harris
    Owner/President
    Positively Balanced, LLC
    Acworth GA
    +1 (770) 975-1475

ALTA Marketplace