Open Forum

All Communities
 View Only
  • 1.  1099-S Appeal

Posted 24 days ago

I have someone that received a notice from the IRS as they are being penalized for filing their 1099-S incorrect because they didn't update their software. A letter was written requesting abatement of the penalty due to the firm not realizing their software was not updated for that particular year. They just received notice that their request for failure of filing a correct format was denied. Does anyone have any suggestions

------------------------------
    Mary Anne Harris
    Owner/President
    Positively Balanced, LLC
    Acworth GA
    +1 (770) 975-1475
    ALTA Marketplace

• 2.  RE: 1099-S Appeal

Posted 21 days ago

Hi Mary Anne-

In my experience, penalty abatement is usually a 1-time forgiveness for someone who doesn't have a record of making mistakes, not paying etc.  You are most likely dealing with an agent who's being hardline.  I'd start by calling and asking what the basis of the denial was, you can always go up the food chain to their supervisor, if still no, they can request assistance from their local state representative or congress person and as a last resort, they can go to TPAS (tax payor assistance).  Surely they are eligible simply because they filed in good faith, and how were they to know the software wasn't updated?

I got the below from the IRS website

Remove or Reduce a Penalty

We may be able to remove or reduce the penalty if you acted in good faith and can show reasonable cause.

If you have reasonable cause, and received Notice 972CG, respond within 45 days (60 days if you're a foreign filer) before we assess the penalty. You may have reasonable cause if you:

• Acted responsibly before and after the failure occurred and
    • Have significant reasons or the failure resulted from circumstances beyond your control

For details on reasonable cause for missing and incorrect names or Taxpayer Identification Numbers, see Publication 1586, Reasonable Cause Regulations & Requirements for Missing and Incorrect Name/TINs on Information ReturnsPDF.

By law, we cannot remove or reduce interest unless the penalty is removed or reduced.

For more information, see penalty relief.

Dispute a Penalty

If you disagree with the amount you owe, you may dispute the penalty.

Call us at the toll-free number at the top right corner of your notice or letter or write us a letter stating why we should reconsider the penalty. Sign and send your letter along with any supporting documents to the address on your notice.

Have this information when you call or send your letter:

• The notice or letter we sent you
    • The penalty you want us to reconsider (for example, a Form 1099-NEC late filing penalty)
    • For each penalty, an explanation of why you think we should remove it

If a notice or letter we sent you has instructions or deadlines for disputing the penalty, pay careful attention. You must follow the instructions to dispute the penalty.

Here is the link with further information.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/information-return-penalties

Hope this helps.

Victoria Wertz

Managing Partner
    North Star Title Services, LLC

3780 Northpoint Dr

Marietta GA 30062
    Direct:770-402-2385
    Fax:770-872-7975
    victoria@northstartitleservices.com

NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW

ALTA Marketplace

• 3.  RE: 1099-S Appeal

Posted 14 days ago

Victoria, 

FTA (First Time Abatement) is a resource, however, if the penalty is not owed why burned that bridge? Like I posted a few months ago, the IRS is hiring hundreds of personnel and they are clueless, poorly trained and in some instances just plain lazy. We just had a case where the new IRS hire was examining tax returns for a truck driver, the taxpayer provided with all receipts and the IRS still decided the TP was to pay almost $100,000 in tax for 2 years.... It is ridiculous what the government employees do (after we worked the case TP was owed $1,314 in refund, we do not have "magic pixie dust" we are just willing to do the work)

If you want to let us look at the penalty notice we might be able to help.

Mary Enzi CAA
    Tax Solutions – FIRPTA Consulting
    mary.santiago@taxss.com
    +1 (281) 578-1040
    Barker TX

ALTA Marketplace

• 4.  RE: 1099-S Appeal

Posted 21 days ago

Hi 

Mary Anne,

I need more information.  The reason for the penalty doesn't make sense.  The only changes I am aware of were to the FIRE format that IRS made in the last few years has been to the layout.  Filing with an incorrect layout would have resulted in a "BAD" submission, not a penalty.

I think something else is going on here.  Reply to me personally with the name of the software and I'll see what I can find out.

In meantime, I would suggest that your client update their software and refile the 1099s.

Ed

Edwin Generes , CPA (Inactive)
    Edwin G. Generes
    Covington LA
    985-317-3398

ALTA Marketplace

• 5.  RE: 1099-S Appeal

Posted 14 days ago

Mary Anne, was your client's situation resolved? How?

Edwin Generes , CPA (Inactive)
    Edwin G. Generes
    Covington LA
    985-317-3398

ALTA Marketplace

• 6.  RE: 1099-S Appeal

Posted 14 days ago

They said they have an attorney handling it and I believe they are going to appeal it. Thanks for reaching out. It's not a client of mine someone that reached out to us. 

Mary Anne Harris
    Owner/President
    Positively Balanced, LLC
    Acworth GA
    +1 (770) 975-1475

ALTA Marketplace