Open Forum

All Communities
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

• 1.  Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-03-2021 11:18
    Has anyone ever had any experience when you have sent a Mortgage Payoff via UPS or any carrier when the package was sent 2 day delivery however it never arrived until 10 days after it was shipped.  We sent a payoff on 11/19 however it never arrived at its destination until 11/30 and we have tried to file a claim with UPS for the additional $281.00 now required to payoff the mortgage.  Tried to file an online claim, however there is not a category for late delivery only damaged packages or packages that have never arrived.  Called Customer Service and they tell us the claim must be handled online and have reached out to our UPS representative who says if we didn't declare a value on the package UPS probably won't pay anything but at the most $100?

------------------------------
    Karen LoMoglio
    Owner
    Savvy Title Company LLC
    Brandon FL
    +1 (813) 278-8347
    ALTA Marketplace

• 2.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 02:08
    It's a risk you take when you choose to send payoff via check instead of wire.  Suck it up, pay the additional per diem charges,  and chalk it up as a cost of doing business. 

Jack I. Smolokoff, Esq. 
    1017 Turnpike Street, Suite #12A
    Canton, MA 02021
    Tel: 781-828-2616
    Fax: 339-502-6566
    Email: jislaw@aol.com 

WIRE FRAUD ALERT. If you receive an e-mail from this office requesting that you WIRE, otherwise TRANSFER FUNDS, or REVISE A PAYOFF you must confirm the request and any corresponding instructions by telephone with this office before you initiate any transfer. E-mail accounts of attorneys, other professionals and businesses are being targeted by hackers in an attempt to initiate fraudulent wire requests. 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message is being sent by an attorney.  It is solely and exclusively intended for the individual, trust, corporation and/or entity to which it is addressed.  This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate.

ALTA Marketplace

• 3.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-07-2021 10:14

We calculate 5 additional days of interest, add it to the payoff letter and collect the funds at closing. This will allow sufficient time when sending a Payoff funds via: federal express next day service. During the Holiday season, we have on occasion collected 15 days additional interest.

Life is good.

Lora A. Rosenthal

President/Owner: Touchdown Abstract Services, Inc.

NYS Lic.Corp-Broker: Touchdown Homes, Inc.

NYS Certified Women Owned Business

NYC, Nassau and Suffolk County: WBE

President-NALS-Suffolk Chapter

Admin Asst: Suffolk County Women's Bar Association

350 Moffitt Blvd. 2nd Floor, Islip, NY 11751

631-224-7196 F:631-224-7197

We are the key to a successful real estate closing

ALTA Marketplace

• 4.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 05:45
    Sadly, carriers such as UPS can hide behind their contract with you.  You will have to look at the service agreement to determine if UPS can be held responsible for anything beyond the charge for 2-day delivery.
    I trust the first thing you did when you discovered the payoff was late was to dig into your company's pocket and pay the additional per diem required to pay off the mortgage.
    You may have to mark this off to lesson learned about UPS.  
    Our office uses FedEx so we take advantage of its tracking program.  It's worth the cost.

--- 

Stephen M. Flatow, Counsel

Vested Land Services LLC
    165 Passaic Ave, Suite 101
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    973-808-6130  * 973-227-0645 Fax

WE DO NOT ACCEPT OR REQUEST CHANGES TO WIRING INSTRUCTIONS VIA EMAIL OR FAX.
    Always call to verify.

ALTA Marketplace

• 5.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 05:59
    UPS  and every other overnight carrier also has a tracking service.  When the package wasn't delivered after 2 or 3 days days, they should have stopped payment on the check and sent the funds via wire in order to limit the damage.

Jack I. Smolokoff, Esq. 
    1017 Turnpike Street, Suite #12A
    Canton, MA 02021
    Tel: 781-828-2616
    Fax: 339-502-6566
    Email: jislaw@aol.com 

WIRE FRAUD ALERT. If you receive an e-mail from this office requesting that you WIRE, otherwise TRANSFER FUNDS, or REVISE A PAYOFF you must confirm the request and any corresponding instructions by telephone with this office before you initiate any transfer. E-mail accounts of attorneys, other professionals and businesses are being targeted by hackers in an attempt to initiate fraudulent wire requests. 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message is being sent by an attorney.  It is solely and exclusively intended for the individual, trust, corporation and/or entity to which it is addressed.  This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate.

ALTA Marketplace

• 6.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 08:40

Not exactly the same scenario, but we have had several Certified Mail pieces take over 30 days to reach their destination.  Two of them were related to court cases.

It's time to go through policies, laws, etc and remove "snail mail" requirements. (Easy, right?). The USPS cannot reliably deliver anything anymore. Even UPS/FedEX have trouble getting things delivered on time. Overnight and 2-Day are more often than not "sometime this week". Do it all digitally and follow up with a phone call.

Thank you,

Brad Litteken, President

R.P.L.S. #6838

Proven Surveying

Proven Logo 2 Color

2406 Kell Boulevard

Wichita Falls, TX 76308

O: 940-322-6450

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after

The sweetness of low price is forgotten"

• Benjamin Franklin

ALTA Marketplace

• 7.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 09:48

UPS won't do anything. We had an issue where our ground packages were not picked up for weeks and they didn't even apologize. They only responded when someone in our building posted a fake notice from UPS telling everyone to use FedEx. Just be glad the damage was so low.

Sharon Roos Kirkpatrick attorney at law

CEO

ii_15d33469bf9c28a8

8833 Gross Point Road Suite 208

Skokie, IL 60077

P 847-594-4100

F 847-594-9200

C 312-749-1655

image003.jpg@01D0D0FB.D4E090C0

Please send all closing requests, title requests, figures,closing packages and policy requests tomail@networktitle.com .

·         WARNING! WIRE FRAUD ADVISORY: Wire fraud and email hacking/phishing attacks are on the increase! If you have an escrow or closing transaction with us and you receive an email containing Wire Transfer Instructions, DO NOT RESPOND TO THE EMAIL! Instead, call your escrow officer/closer immediately, using previously known contact information and NOT information provided in the email, to verify the information prior to sending funds.

·         This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

ALTA Marketplace

• 8.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 09:53
    CAUTION - Any and every time you wire payoff funds, be sure to verify the wire instructions with the payoff lender prior to wiring, especially in those states who do split closings.  Fraudsters are learning how to nab payoff statements and replace them with fraud accounts, even via fax.

Helen Cornwell
    Owner
    Entitle Settlement Services, LLC
    Warrenton VA
    +1 (540) 341-3000

ALTA Marketplace

• 9.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 10:24
    I would recommend getting a corporate account with FedEx. We have had numerous shipping issues with UPS. It's always a hassle to get them to take responsibility for their mistakes. We generally never run into issues with FEDEX.

Samuel Cooper
    President
    Trusted Title Group, LLC
    Clinton MD
    +1 (301) 637-3666

ALTA Marketplace

• 10.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-07-2021 07:47
    Agree.  A corporate account with FedEx is best if you can't wire funds.  Over the 20+ years with FedEx we only had one issue and it was resolved easily.

ALTA Marketplace

• 11.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 10:40
    We send 99% of our payoffs via wires. We do verify wire instructions. This is most efficient method of payoff for clients. As an aside, when we do send FedEx we typically send in a dropbox. We are seeing pick up at dropbox earlier than noted on box. We utilize the box with latest pick up in our town. So this then leaves the FedEx taking an extra day. Not ideal!

Gail Malloy
    Owner
    Westmoreland Paralegal Services
    Greensburg PA
    +1 (724) 832-8683

ALTA Marketplace

• 12.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 10:45
    I agree, we also send 99% wires for all mortgage payoffs. It's way better and the clients tend to like that their mortgage is paid off within 24 hours of closing. It also prevents us from being liable for any additional interest.

Samuel Cooper
    President
    Trusted Title Group, LLC
    Clinton MD
    +1 (301) 637-3666

ALTA Marketplace

• 13.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 11:00
    Yes, had the exact same thing happen to me and at the worst possible time of the year.  I had to come out of pocket to address the late fees.  I looked to the carrier; they offered an apology at best.  I switched my overnight carrier, at least for a while.

Thomas Imperiale
    Senior Underwriting Counsel
    First American Title Insurance Co
    Santa Ana CA
    +1 (714) 250-3000

ALTA Marketplace

• 14.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 11:04
    I had a late Fed-x last week and they would not even refund the charge of the delivery.  Said that they were suspending their "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" promise during the holidays.  Fortunately it was just a set of docs and not a payoff.  Honestly I always just wire my payoffs.  Then I don't have to worry about that.

Karen Trusty
    Administrative Processor/Consultant
    National Title Services LLC
    Lexington KY
    +1 (615) 812-0487

ALTA Marketplace

• 15.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-06-2021 11:32
    We Require our Title Closer to Confirm receipt of the Fund.

Sal Turano
    President
    Abstracts, Incorporated
    Garden City NY
    +1 (516) 683-1000

ALTA Marketplace

• 16.  RE: Additional funds due on Payoffs due to carrier late delivery

Posted 12-07-2021 09:47
    I, too, use FedEx rather than UPS because over the years I have found them to be more reliable and more likely to stand behind their service.   However, I also wire out my payoffs.   Beware, though...  I once had a wire not make it to its end destination and did not discover it until reconciling accounts.  I initiated it online, got an email confirmation that the bank had received the wire order, but somehow it got dropped at that point.  Therefore, you also have to follow  up on your wire confirmations to make sure they have been completed.

Nancy L. Gusman, Esq., CLTP, NTP
    GusmanLegal, LLC
    Beltsville, MD
    (301)563-9669

ALTA Marketplace