Open Forum

All Communities
 View Only
  • 1.  Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 06-29-2021 13:07
    What is the best story you have about protecting consumers and REALTORS as a title agent?

------------------------------
    Shawn Sullivan
    Director of Digital & Print Media
    American Land Title Association
    Washington DC
    ssullivan@alta.org
    ALTA Marketplace

• 2.  RE: Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 06-30-2021 10:15
    I was able to stop the theft of a property by determining during an examination of a Death Certificate that it was possibly fraudulent. The scammers had forged a Death Certificate and used it to open a Probate naming one of the scammers as Personal Representative of the Estate. Once I confirmed that it was probably forged, we were able to locate the actual homeowner (who was very much alive) who was then able to come back, file a Police Report, and have the Letters of Administration terminated and the Probate case dismissed by the Court. We then assisted the FBI with a sting operation that caught the scammers red handed. The Buyer, an investor, was ultimately able to purchase the property from the actual homeowner under the same terms as had been negotiated with the scammer. So....

1. The scammers were apprehended.
    2. The actual homeowner received the proceeds from the sale of the property, not the scammers.
    3. The Buyer was able to move forward with his investment purchase. 

Real Estate is always fun....

I still use that Death Certificate in training sessions to see if staff can figure out how I determined it was fraudulent.

Kimberly A. Gilbert-Toelle, Esq.*
    Raber Law Offices, PLLC
    105 N. College Street
    Martinsburg, WV 25401
    681-260-6455
    Fax 304-441-5551
    email:
    relo@raberlawoffices.com
    alt. email:
    kgt@raberlawoffices.com  
    www.raberlawoffices.com  

*Admitted in West Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia only.

ALTA Marketplace

• 3.  RE: Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 06-30-2021 11:25
    ​Kimberly that is a great example! First time I have heard this method, do you know how the scammers found out about the property sale?

Thank you for sharing!

Shawn Sullivan
    Washington DC
    +1 (202) 296-3671

ALTA Marketplace

• 4.  RE: Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 06-30-2021 11:32
    They targeted properties that were coming up for Tax Sale. They would then generate a Death Certificate for the owner, open the Probate, and market and sell the properties themselves. I am not certain how many property owners they had scammed prior to being caught because the Lead FBI Agent would not tell me, but apparently it was a large number. 

Kimberly A. Gilbert-Toelle, Esq.*
    Raber Law Offices, PLLC
    105 N. College Street
    Martinsburg, WV 25401
    681-260-6455
    Fax 304-441-5551
    email:
    relo@raberlawoffices.com
    alt. email:
    kgt@raberlawoffices.com  
    www.raberlawoffices.com  

*Admitted in West Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia only.

ALTA Marketplace

• 5.  RE: Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 07-02-2021 07:30
    Our office stopped a mortgage fraud during a refinance by determining the named homeowner who had gotten the mortgage when the property was purchased in the late 90s had died and it was actually the daughter (with the same first and last name) who was trying to get a cash-out refi. There had never been a probate. Then we discovered that the previous refinance to lower the interest rate several years previously had ALSO occurred after the death of the homeowner, so the daughter had already done it once. We notified both lenders and provided copies of instruments showing the drastically different signatures of the two people on the deeds of trust and the refinance was rejected. We never heard how the current lender handled the existing fraud.

Cathy Clamp CTIP, NTP
    Escrow Officer
    Heart of Texas Title Co., LLC
    Brady TX
    +1 (325) 597-0796

ALTA Marketplace

• 6.  RE: Calling on Our Title Problem Solvers!

Posted 07-07-2021 11:49
    Hi Cathy, that is a great example and you discovered previous fraud​ in the process. Thank you for sharing!

Shawn Sullivan
    Washington DC
    +1 (202) 296-3671

ALTA Marketplace